Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Less-redacted report on Maryland church abuse still redacts names of church leaders -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Less-redacted report on Maryland church abuse still redacts names of church leaders
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:58:50
BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland’s attorney general released some previously redacted names in its staggering report on Oliver James Montgomerychild sex abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore on Tuesday, but the names of five Catholic church leaders remained redacted amid ongoing appeals, prompting criticism of the church by victims’ advocates.
While the names of the high-ranking church leaders already have been reported by local media, the director of the Maryland chapter of Survivors of those Abused by Priests said he was disappointed, but not surprised that resistance continues to fight against transparency and accountability, despite what church leaders say.
“Once again, it just shows that the Church is not doing what they say they’re doing,” said David Lorenz, the leader of SNAP’s Maryland chapter. “They’re just not. They’re not being open and transparent, and they should be, and they claim to be.”
Lorenz said he questioned whether the names in the report would ever be made public.
“I don’t have a ton of confidence, because the church is extremely powerful and extremely wealthy and they are paying for the lawyers for these officials,” Lorenz said. “We know that. They are paying the lawyers of the officials whose names are still being redacted.”
The Maryland Attorney General’s Office said in a statement last month that the five officials whose names remain redacted “had extensive participation in the Archdiocese’s handling of abuser clergy and reports of child abuse.”
“The court’s order enables my office to continue to lift the veil of secrecy over decades of horrifying abuse suffered by the survivors,” Attorney General Anthony Brown said at the time.
The names of eight alleged abusers that had been redacted were publicized in https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/reports/AOB_Report_Revised_Redacted_Interim.pdf released Tuesday.
Brown’s office said appeals are ongoing relating to further disclosure of redacted names and the agency could release an even less redacted version of the report later.
The names were initially redacted partly because they were obtained through grand jury proceedings, which are confidential under Maryland law without a judge’s order.
Many of the most notable names were previously reported by local media in the weeks following the report’s initial release in April.
Those accused of perpetuating the coverup include Auxiliary Bishop W. Francis Malooly, according to The Baltimore Sun. Malooly later rose to become bishop of the Diocese of Wilmington, which covers all of Delaware and parts of Maryland’s Eastern Shore. He retired in 2021.
Another high-ranking official, Richard Woy, currently serves as pastor of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in a suburb west of Baltimore. He received complaints about one of the report’s most infamous alleged abusers, Father Joseph Maskell, who was the subject of a 2017 Netflix series “The Keepers.”
A spokesman for the archdiocese did not immediately return an email seeking comment.
In April, the attorney general first released its 456-page investigation with redactions that details 156 clergy, teachers, seminarians and deacons within the Archdiocese of Baltimore who allegedly assaulted more than 600 children going back to the 1940s. Many of them are now dead.
The release of the largely unredacted report comes just days before a new state law goes into effect Oct. 1, removing the statute of limitations on child sex abuse charges and allowing victims to sue their abusers decades after the fact.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Defense attorney for Florida deputy charged in airman’s death is a former lawmaker and prosecutor
- A ban on outdoor burning is set in 7 Mississippi counties during dry conditions
- Who Is Kick Kennedy? Everything to Know About the Actress Linked to Ben Affleck
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Hiker on an office retreat left stranded on Colorado mountainside, rescued the next day
- What Brittany Cartwright Is Seeking in Jax Taylor Divorce
- Taylor Swift shuts down rumors of bad blood with Charli XCX
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- All of You Will Love John Legend's Meaningful Tattoo Tribute to Chrissy Teigen and Kids
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Sid “Vicious” Eudy, Pro-Wrestling Legend, Dead at 63 After Cancer Battle
- Olive Garden's Never Ending Pasta Bowl promotion is back: Here's how long it's available
- Ranking the 10 toughest college football schedules starting with Florida, USC
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Lizzo Reveals She’s Taking a “Gap Year” After Previous Comments About Quitting
- Leonard Riggio, who forged a bookselling empire at Barnes & Noble, dead at 83
- Juan Soto just getting started – with monster payday right around the corner
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Kylie Kelce Reveals the Personal Change Jason Kelce Has Made Since NFL Retirement
Disbarred celebrity lawyer Tom Girardi found guilty of stealing millions from his clients
Receiver CeeDee Lamb agrees to 4-year, $136M deal with Cowboys, AP sources say
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
No. 1 Swiatek shakes off tough test, Naomi Osaka wins impressively in her return to the US Open
First rioter to enter Capitol during Jan. 6 attack is sentenced to over 4 years in prison
Is 'going no contact' the secret to getting your ex back? Maybe — but be careful.